The cold weather has finally arrived and nothing gives you more of a pick me up than homemade Italian Penicillin, more commonly referred to as chicken soup. Personally, I prefer Italian Penicillin! My better half literally whipped this up in a matter of minutes. I’m sure I annoyed the crap out of her while taking photos, if only Google or Apple would create smell-o-vision! This hearty soup will warm you up instantly on those cold weather nights – even in the desert southwest!
- Olive Oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pot)
- Butter (1 Tbsp)
- Onion (half to a whole depending on your liking)
- Celery (6 large stalks – to your liking)
- Carrots (5 large carrots peeled – to your liking)
- Zucchini (2 medium sized – leave peel on)
- Diced Tomatoes (half to a whole can – to your liking)
- Garlic (3 cloves or so)
- Roasted Chicken (pre-roasted – pick up at the store to save time)
- Vegetable Broth (64 oz. – two boxes)
- Salt and Pepper (add to your liking)
- Acini de Pepe (1 cup – add more if you like)
- Italian Herb Seasoning (a few dashes)
- Heat up a large pot with olive oil and butter.
- Dice/cube Onion, celery, carrots and zucchini – then add to large pot.
- Let simmer – mixing occasionally – Taste Test – You’re looking for the vegetables to become soft.
- Add in diced tomatoes, roasted chicken, garlic, salt and pepper, and Italian herb seasoning.
- Let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add Acini de Pepe.
- Let simmer until ready to eat.
Nice Large Bowl with Parmesan on top. The above makes at least 6-8 servings (depending on how large your bowl is of course…)
As a side note, the leftovers are just as delicious! In case you had some or were just curious…